본문 바로가기

조회 수 877 댓글 0
Breathe into the Zoo: Giraffe
A SOLO EXHIBITION BY HYEWON PARK

November 5th ~ 9th, 2019
Kenektid X Gallery, NY 
Opening Reception: November 7th, 6-8 p.m.

park.jpg

Kenektid X Gallery is pleased to present Breathe into the Zoo by Hyewon Park, in a solo show on view at 1026 6th AVENUE, Suite 201 in New York, NY November 5th through 9th, 2019, with an opening reception on Thursday, November 7th.

Being trapped in a crowded city with hundreds of people, I feel at ease every time I go to the zoo and watch the animals. When I arrive at zoo and climb up the hill, I always see the giraffe first. I don’t take pictures of the giraffes right away. Instead, I just observe them, which in itself makes me happy. I love watching them moving so I wanted them to be free and not confined in my photos. This was the motivation to start this project, “breathe into the zoo”, which was my first time shooting animals.

I work with a pinhole camera that would not allow me to delete the image so instantly. It takes a while to take one photo with the pinhole camera so it was very difficult to capture these constantly moving animals. Sometimes, I would not get a single animal from the few rolls of film I used that day. Because of the nature of the pinhole camera, only a long-lived subject remains in the picture, so among the many giraffes, the giraffe who stayed in one place for a while would be in the picture while the other giraffes who stayed around for a shorter period would appear blur like ghosts. I do not want to capture the instant scene, but just stay there and quietly watch their journey. I do not want to be a photographer, but instead I want to be an observer.

I want my project to bring life to the animals in my photographs like the way God created man by blowing life into the soil.

“동물원에 숨을 불어넣다” 기린 시리즈

박혜원 작가 의도

수많은 사람들로 북적거리는 도시에서 갇혀 살고 있는 나는, 동물원에 가서 동물들을 보고 있노라면 마음이 편안해졌다. 그곳을 가는 것 자체가 나에게는 작은 여행이 되고, 현실에서 벗어나 다른 세상으로 가는 시간이기도 하다.

동물원에 도착해 오르막길을 오르면 가장 먼저 기린을 마주하게 된다. 처음부터 카메라를 들이 대지는 않는다. 그들을 바라보고 있는 것 자체가 즐겁고, 관찰하는 것 만으로도 행복하기 때문이다. 사진 찍는 것이 나에게는 직업이고 또한 표현의 수단이지만, 나는 카메라를 동물들에게 들이대는 일이 죄책감으로 느껴졌고, 쉽게 셔터를 누를 수가 없었다. 적어도 그들이 내 사진 안에서는 자유롭기를 바라는 마음에서 시작된 것이고, 이것은 처음으로 동물을 촬영하게 된 동기가 되었다.

이 프로젝트를 진행하기 위해 나는 순간 포착이 쉽고, 마음에 안들면 바로 이미지를 삭제할 수 있는 디지털 카메라를 사용하지 않고, 그와 정반대인 핀홀 카메라로 작업했다. 한 장 촬영하는데 눈 깜빡거리는 시간보다 빠른 디지털 카메라에 비해 40-90초는 걸리고, 정확한 지점을 향해 조준하기 어려운 핀홀 카메라에 움직이는 기린들을 담아내는 것이다. 그러다 보니 때로는 햇빛이 따스해 뛰놀며, 맛있는 식물을 따먹으러 움직이는 그들의 짧은 여정들을 담아내기가 꽤나 어려웠다. 

어느 날은 내가 사용한 몇 롤의 필름에서 단 한 마리의 동물도 나오지 않은 적이 있다. 그리고 핀홀 카메라의 특성상 오래 머무른 피사체만이 사진에 남기 때문에 여러 마리의 기린들 중 한자리에 오래 머물렀던 기린은 남고 그 주위에 잠깐씩 머물렀던 다른 기린들은 유령처럼 흐릿하게 나오거나, 혹은 프레임 밖으로 사라져 배경만 남은 결과물들이 나왔다. 온전히 사진 작가로서 내가 의도 한대로 원하는 장면을 포착하는 것이 아니라 그저 그곳에 머물러 조용히 그들의 행적과 시간을 담아내는 것이다.

동물원에 갇힌 동물들이 나의 사진 프레임 안에서 자유로울 수 있기를 바라는 것은 나의 간절한 염원이며, 마치 신이 인간을 만들 때 흙에 생기를 불어넣어 만든 모습처럼 사진 속의 그 동물들에게 생기를 불어넣는 작업이 되기를 원한다.

Hyewon Park is a photographer based in New York City. She has been exhibited and published both in the US and Korea. Hyewon participated in "New York Photo Festival" in Brooklyn, NY and Seoul. She was also selected to exhibit in "CWA 85th Annual Juried Exhibition" at Slater Memorial Museum in CT., "AIPAD Art Fair", "Photo LA" at 19/21 Gallery in New York and LA, and "Seoul Photo Art Fair" in Korea. Hyewon is also a part of the "Immigrant Artist Mentoring Program" of NYFA and received the "Bonnie Rychlak Award" of ISE Cultural Foundation, NY. She is actively involved in the community by having solo exhibitions as well as group exhibitions in Seoul, Heyri and New York.
www.hyewonparkphotography.com

?