본문 바로가기

조회 수 102 댓글 1

앤디 김(Andy Kim) 한인 최초 연방 상원의원 될까?  

로즈 장학생, 오바마 행정부 안보 보좌관 출신 

Jandy01.jpg

코리안 아메리칸 앤디 김(Andy Kim, 41) 연방 하원의원(제 3 의회 선거구)이 뉴저지주 예비선거에서 민주당 후보로 선출되면서 한국계 첫 연방 상원의원이 탄생할 가능성이 커졌다. 

김 의원은 동부시간 오전 5시 30분 현재 90% 개표 상태에서 시민단체 운동가 로렌스 햄(Lawrence Hamm, 16%), 노동운동 지도자 패트리샤 캄포스-메디나(Patricia Campos-Medina, 9% )후보를 75%를 득표했다. 이날 선거에선 유력한 경쟁 후보였던 뉴저지 주지사 필 머피(Philip D. Murphy)의 부인 태미 머피(Tammy Murphy) 후보가 지난 3월 자진사퇴한 상황에서 치러져 김 의원이 어부지리를 얻었다. 

IMG_9905.jpg

https://x.com/andykimnj

뉴저지주는 1972년 이후 민주당 소속이 상원의원에 당선되어 오는 11월 5일 본선거에서도 유리할 것으로 보인다.  2020년 대선 선거에서 도날드 트럼프도 뉴저지에서 조 바이든에게 16% 차이로 패했다. 

지난해 9월 로버트 메넨데스(Robert Menendez,, 70) 상원의원은 뉴저지주 사업가들로부터 뇌물을 받은 혐의로 기소됨에 따라 11월 본선에 무소속 출마를 선언했다. 이 때문에 민주당 표 일부를 잠식할 변수로 작용할 것으로 보인다. 메넨데스 현 의원은 2006년부터 상원의원을 지냈다. 

미 연방선거위원회(FEC)에 따르면 캄포스-메디나 후보는 선거 자금 43만달러, 햄 후보는 25만달러, 앤디 김 의원은 787만달러를 조성했다. 

andy3.jpg

2022 N.J. Election Results: Rep. Andy Kim Wins Second Term in 3rd Congressional District. Image: NBC Philadelphia

앤디 김 의원은 1982년 보스턴에서 태어나 사우스 저지에서 자랐다. 어릴 적 소아마비로 고생했던 아버지 김정한씨는 MIT와 하버드대에서 유전학을 전공한 박사로 암과 알츠하이머 치료를 연구하는 유전학자, 어머니 장재순씨는 뉴저지병원의 간호원이었다. 

뉴저지주 라이스 초등학교, 체리힐 고교를 거쳐 캘리포니아대 Deep Springs College에 입학 2년 후 시카고대로 편입해 정치학을 전공했다. 대학시절 미 국제개발처(United States Agency for International Development)에서 인턴으로 일했으며, 로즈 장학생(Rhodes Scholar)로 옥스포드대 Magdalen College에서 국제정치를 공부하면서 현재 교통부 장관이자 로즈 장학생이던 피트 부티지지(Pete Buttigieg)와 친구가 됐다. 

졸업 후 버락 오바마 대통령 밑에서 아프가니스탄에서 미군 사령관의 전략 참모로 일했으며, 국방부와 백악관 국가안보회의에서 이라크 담당 보좌관을 지내며 ISIS를 공격하기 위해 오바마가 실행한 계획을 작성했다. 

2012년 뉴욕대 법대 출신으로 전문투자자문회사 뱅가드(Vanguard)의 법무 자문위원인 캐미 라이(Kammy Lai)씨와 결혼해 두 아들을 두었다.

https://www.andykim.com

andy1.jpg

ANDY KIM: My Family's Story

​​I am the son of Korean immigrants — born and raised in America, the product of New Jersey public schools, public servant, husband, and proud dad to two little troublemaking little boys.

I'm raising my kids just down the road from where I grew up because this community means everything to me and my family.

When my parents came to America 50 years ago, they didn’t know a single person in this entire country. They came here because they wanted to seek a better life for themselves and for their family.

My father suffered as a baby from Polio, and both of my parents struggled with hunger and disease during childhood. My father went on to study in America and became a PhD scientist who dedicated his life to finding a cure for cancer and Alzheimer’s. My mother became a nurse and helped serve thousands of people in New Jersey hospitals.

Check out Andy's little league baseball card

My parents chose to raise me and my sister in New Jersey because they believed the top-notch public school system would give us the best opportunities to succeed. I did all of K-12 right here, and that education helped me become a Rhodes Scholar and a leading national security expert – working at the Pentagon and in Afghanistan as a civilian advisor to the military.

baseball-andy-414.jpg

New Jersey gave my family the opportunity to achieve the American dream, but now, the chaos, dysfunction and extremism in our politics makes me worry those same opportunities won’t be there for my kids. I worry that the community that gave me everything isn’t getting the support and representation it deserves. That’s why I’m stepping up and fighting for my family, for my neighbors, for the community that raised me, and for working families across New Jersey in their pursuit of the American Dream.

I’m so honored to represent in Congress a district where I went to Kindergarten and where my boys are going to school now. Now I’m ready to step up and represent the state of New Jersey.

The corruption charges against Sen. Bob Menendez have shaken the trust of the people in our state and left New Jerseyans feeling more cynical than ever about our government.

I’m running for U.S. Senate to restore that sense of integrity and represent the people of New Jersey with the compassion and trust we all deserve.

https://www.andykim.com

Andy Kim Wins Democratic Senate Primary in New Jersey

Mr. Kim jumped into the race shortly after the incumbent, Senator Robert Menendez, was indicted on federal corruption charges.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/06/04/nyregion/new-jersey-senate-primary.html

?
  • sukie 2024.06.06 15:28
    여기까지는 앤디 김을 100% 한인으로 간주하고 있어서 기뻐했는데, 실은 그는 미국과 훨씬 가까운 2세입니다. 부모님은 미국 주류사회에서 상위직으로 일을하셨고, 그런 유복한 환경속에서 자란 앤디씨는 고생의 문턱을 밟아볼 기회가 없었습니다. 하고싶은 공부를 마음껏 할 수 있었고 또한 우수한 두뇌를 지녔기에 옥스퍼드 로즈 장학생까지 됐습니다. 부인도 한국계가 아닙니다. 한국어는 전혀 구사를 하지 못합니다. 부모가 1세라는 것 외에는 한국의 정서를 그에게서 찾기가 힘듭니다. 고생도 모르고 공부도 잘했고, 인생의 성공가도를 순탄히 가고 있습니다. 그가 당선되기를 바라는 것은 "한인 2세라는 꼬리표"가 이민자인 우리들과 자손들에게 자랑으로 남기 때문입니다.
    -Elaine-