본문 바로가기

조회 수 728 댓글 0
St. Lawrence String Quartet

Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 7:30PM
92Y - Kaufmann Concert Hall

stlaw.jpg

Verdery, the 92Y Art of the Guitar series artistic director, states: “There are threads in the concert which weave all of us together. To begin with, Bryce Dessner was my student at Yale for five years. While at Yale, Bryce was deeply influenced by the compositions of Ingram Marshall, who was teaching there at that time. The two went on to become great friends. In Bryce's guitar lessons, I would often convey the numerous musical truths I gleaned from the many coaching sessions I'd had with Seymour Bernstein.

I first heard the St. Lawrence String Quartet on one of my favorite John Adams CDs. It was the St. Lawrence who premiered Adams’s first string quartet, John's Alleged Book of Dances. John Adams remains one of Ingram Marshall's closest friends, and it was Ingram who introduced me to his music, as well as to that recording. Since that time, the St. Lawrence has remained Adams' "go-to" ensemble, premiering each of his subsequent quartets. There is an additional thread connecting the Villa-Lobos, Bernstein and Marshall pieces. All three works either quote J.S. Bach directly, or in the case of the Villa-Lobos, were profoundly inspired by him (hence the title of his Bachianas Brasileiras). It is known that Villa-Lobos referred to Bach as ‘the God of music.’ I feel the same, and I'm pretty certain that Seymour, Ingram and Bryce do, as well.”

Quintet for High Strings by Bryce Dessner - known to many as a guitarist with The National - was co-commissioned by 92nd Street Y. The program also features the New York Premieres of two works, Tread Softly For You Tread On My Dreams by Mr. Verdery, and Searching for a Chorale by Seymour Bernstein, who is well-known as the subject of a recent documentary by Ethan Hawke; Verdery himself commissioned and performed the world premiere of the Ingram Marshall work in 2000.

St. Lawrence String Quartet 
Geoff Nuttall, violin/ Owen Dalby, violi/ Lesley Robertson, viola/Christopher Costanza, cello
http://www.slsq.com/st-lawrence-string-quartet

verdery250.jpg http://www.benjaminverdery.com
Benjamin Verdery, guitar  

PROGRAM
VILLA-LOBOS Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5. (arr. for solo guitar by Roland Dyens)
SEYMOUR BERNSTEIN Searching for a Chorale (New York premiere)
BACH Prelude, from Cello Suite No. 6 in D Major, BWV 1012 (arr. Benjamin Verdery)
BACH Sonatina, from Gottes Zeit ist die allerbeste Zeit, BWV 106 (arr. Benjamin Verdery)
BACH Allegro, from Prelude, Fugue, and Allegro in E-flat Major, BWV 998 (arr. Benjamin Verdery)
BRYCE DESSNER Quintet for High Strings (World Premiere, 92Y co-commission)
BENJAMIN VERDERY Tread Softly For You Tread On My Dreams (New York premiere)
INGRAM MARSHALL Soe-pa
BOCCHERINI Guitar Quintet in D Major, G. 448 “Fandango” 

Tickets: from $45
Tickets are available at www.92Y.org/Concerts or 212-415-5500.