Song, YeonJoo Solo Exhibition 

June 28- July 4
K&P Gallery, NY

Opening: Thursday June 28th  6-8pm

song.jpg

Song, YeonJoo, Artist Note

Study on the Representation of the Underwater World
 -Possibilities of Painterly Expression Using Silver Foil-

Since childhood, I have had a longing for the world under the sea; about 10 years ago, I obtained a diving certification which allowed me to actually experience the underwater world. The boundless world that exists under the sea and the mystery of the creatures that live there have deeply moved me and are the source of inspiration for my creative activities. 

Under the water, one gets the sense of being in a mother’s womb. To express that sense through images is what my creativity and art is about. After a period of trial and error, I discovered silver leaf as a material to express the mystery of the underwater world. The color of silver leaf differs according to the light and angle; the color also changes with chemical reaction. 

To me, there is a strong similarity between the way I feel when I see the color of silver leaf turn from white silver to a blackish steel hue and the way I feel when I dive deep into the sea – anxiety and joy intermingling within me as the surrounding landscape changes with every moment. In making my works, I always seek to express the sense of diving from shallow waters to deep waters. I feel that rusted silver leaf evokes the passing of time, and makes it possible for me to radiantly express the wonder of the sea. I have come to use the hue-changing silver leaf in my works because by incorporating this color, I believe I will be able to establish my own, distinctive way of depicting the underwater world.

For me, it is important to incorporate colors in my works that subtly change every time one looks at it. That is why I chose silver leaf as the most  suitable material to recreate the underwater experience. The theme of my works is for viewers to experience the underwater world through the filter of my works. In the future, I would like to continue researching and creating, and make works that soothe the viewer – just as I myself am soothed by the sea; I hope to try using other materials and styles and expand my range of expression.

송연주 아티스트 노트

바다 속 세계의 표현에 관한 연구
-은박(銀箔)표현을 통한 평면회화의 가능성-                 

어린 시절부터 바다 속 세계를 동경한 나는 10년전 스쿠버다이빙자격을 취득하고 바다 속 세계를 실제로 체험할 수 있게 되었다. 바다 속 끝없이 펼쳐진 세계와 그 속에서 삶을 영위하는 생명체의 신비는 나에게 무한한 감동을 주고, 창작 활동에 있어 영감의 원천이 되어 주었다. 바다 속 체험은 어머니의 자궁에 둘러싸여 있던 감각의 기억(어머니의 자궁 같은 따스함과 평온함을 느끼게 해주는 양수에 둘러싸인 느낌)을 상기시키는 듯하다. 그 감각을 그림으로 표현하는 것이 나에게 창조적인 행위이며 예술이다.

그리고 바다 속 세계의 신비를 표현하기 위한 방법으로서 시행착오 끝에 찾아낸 것이 은박(銀箔)이라는 소재이다. 은박(銀箔)은 빛의 반응에 따라서 또한 보는 각도에 따라 색상이 다양하게 변화하고, 화학반응에 의해서도 변색된다. 내게는 은박(銀箔)이 은백색에서 검게 산화되어 변색 해가는 과정에서 느끼는 감각과 내가 바다 속으로 깊이 잠수해 나갈 때 주위의 정경이 끊임없이 변화해 갈 때 느끼는 불안과 환희에 뒤섞인 느낌은 매우 비슷하다.  

작품제작 시 나는 항상 얕은 바다에서 깊은 바다까지 잠수해가는 「과정의 감각」을 표현하려 한다. 녹슨 색으로 변한 은박은 시간의 경과를 나타내며 바다의 신비를 더욱 빛낼 표현을 가능하게 할 것이다. 그 색을 그림에 도입함으로써 내 고유의 바다 속 세계의 표현을 성립시키고자 시공(시간과 공간)에 따라 은박(銀箔)의 변색을 제작에 도입하게 되었다.  

나에게 중요한 것은 볼 때마다 변화하며,미묘하고 미세한 색상의 변화를 작품에 표현하는 것이다. 그런 이유에서 나의 바다 속 체험을 가장 잘 재현할 수 있는 소재로서 은박(銀箔)을 택한 것이다. 내 감성의 필터를 통해 표현한 작품으로 관람객들에게 바다 속 세계를 간접체험 할 수 있도록 하는 것이 내 작품의 테마이다. 앞으로는 내 자신이 바다에서 힐링을 느끼는 것처럼 내 작품을 관람하는 사람들이 힐링을 느낄 수 있도록 작품연구와 제작을 하며 새로운 소재와 스타일에 도전하며 표현의 가능성과 영역을 더욱 넓혀 나가고자 한다.

Song, YeonJoo
2018  Graduated from Doctoral Degree Course,Graduate School of Tama Art University(Ph.D.) 

Selected Solo Exhibitions
2014 The 2th Solo Exhibition “Remember in the sea” Gallery A1, Seoul/Korea
2014 The 3th “Song Yeonjoo Solo Exhibition ”Lela International Gallery, LA/USA
2016 The 1th&8h Solo Exhibition “Remember in the sea” Gallery SHIMIZU, Yokohama/Japan
2017 The 10th Solo Exhibition “Memory of the sense of sea” Gallery YUME, Mitaka/Tokyo 
2018 The 11th Solo Exhibition “Memory of the sense of sea2018” Gallery Sirota, Ginza/Tokyo 

프로필 
송연주(宋耎姝) Song Yeon-joo  
2018일본타마미술대학대학원 미술연구과 박사과정 졸업 및 학위취득
개인전(11회), 그룹전/미술관/국제전/아트페어(60회이상) ,공모전(14회수상)

개인전
2014「Remember in the sea」 (A1 Gallery,서울,한국)
「Song Yeonjoo Exhibition」 (렐라갤러리,로스앤젤리스,미국,)
「Remember in the sea」 (SHIMIZU Gallery,요코하마,일본)(2016)
2015 「송연주展」 (갤러리미즈노,나고야,일본)
2016「송연주전展」 (Galerie VERGER,사가미하라,일본)
2017「Memory of the sense of sea2017」(갤러리유메,토쿄,일본)
2018 「Memory of the sense of sea2018」(긴자시로타화랑,토쿄,일본)