조회 수 1678 댓글 0
The Eye of Iran: Cinematographer Mahmoud Kalari

September 14–30, 2018
The Roy and Niuta Titus Theaters

00001.jpg

MoMA CELEBRATES INFLUENTIAL IRANIAN CINEMATOGRAPHER 
MAHMOUD KALARI WITH 12-FILM SERIES

NEW YORK, August 20, 2018 – The Museum of Modern Art presents The Eye of Iran:
Cinematographer Mahmoud Kalari, a series highlighting the extraordinary career of Iranian
cinematographer Mahmoud Kalari and the renowned filmmakers with whom he has
collaborated. Among the many notable films lensed by Kalari are A Separation (Asghar
Farhadi, 2011), The Wind Will Carry Us (Abbas Kiarostami, 1999), and Gabbeh (Mohsen
Makhmalbaf, 1996). Running September 14 through 30, 2018, in The Roy and Niuta Titus
Theaters, the series showcases 12 films from 1996 to the present, by 10 directors—including
Kalari himself, who will be in attendance over the course of the series. The series is organized
La Frances Hui, Associate Curator, Department of Film, The Museum of Modern Art.
Contemporary Iranian film has earned worldwide acclaim since around 1990, when it became
known for a neorealist streak characterized by authentic, simple depictions of life. The
complex reality of Iran has, however, been explored by a wide range of cinematic voices, with
formally and conceptually rigorous films dealing with subjects as diverse as urban life,
women’s issues, interpersonal dramas, philosophy, all while creatively skirting strict
censorship rules.

Kalari’s vision singularly contributed to the look of this rich, multifaceted, evolving cinema,
and over the course of three decades he has focused the world’s gaze on Iran. He lensed some
of the most acclaimed works by Asghar Farhadi, Abbas Kiarostami, Mohsen Makhmalbaf,
Dariush Mehrjui, and Jafar Panahi, to name just a few. Beyond these celebrated masters,
Kalari has also collaborated with young and emerging directors, making him a constant
presence across the wide gamut of Iranian cinema. Kalari devises a specific visual style for
each film, ranging from dynamic handheld camerawork to stark minimalism, placid
countryside to gritty metropolis, short shot to long take (in one case lasting over two hours—
the entire length of the film).

“I am honored to be the subject of a retrospective at MoMA. It’s extraordinarily moving to take
a moment to look back at the films I have made with different generations of Iranian directors,
representing a wide variety of styles. I look forward to sharing my work with the New York
audience,” said Mahmoud Kalari.

“Kalari is an incredibly talented and versatile cinematographer. He goes into each production
with an open and adventurous mind, which is evident in the breadth of his repertoire. His
imprints are everywhere in the past three decades of Iranian cinema. I am very happy to
celebrate this important artistic voice and a rich and illuminating cinema through this
exhibition,” said La Frances Hui. 
https://www.moma.org/calendar/film/5008?locale=en