본문 바로가기

조회 수 470 댓글 0

whitney.jpg

WHITNEY ANNOUNCES EXHIBITION SCHEDULE THROUGH APRIL 2022

NEW YORK, October 1, 2020—The Whitney Museum of American Art today announced its schedule of exhibitions opening through April 2022. Highlighting the work of living artists, the diverse program features many artists with whom the Whitney has forged lasting dialogues, including Dawoud Bey, David Hammons, Jasper Johns, and Julie Mehretu, and debuts new installations and performances featuring works by Andrea Carlson, Martine Gutierrez, Madeline Hollander, Kamoinge Workshop, Dave McKenzie, My Barbarian, Salman Toor, and others. The Museum’s collection remains at the heart of the program and this fall a new collection installation will include Ruth Asawa, Sari Dienes, Pati Hill, Kahlil Robert Irving, Virginia Overton, Julia Phillips, and Zarina. The Museum also announced that the Whitney Biennial, its signature exhibition, has been postponed to April 2022.

Announcing the exhibition schedule Adam D. Weinberg, Alice Pratt Brown Director of the Whitney Museum of American Art, noted: “This year, the Whitney celebrates its ninetieth anniversary and fifth year downtown. Though we were closed for nearly six months as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, our work on the Museum’s program has continued uninterrupted. Over the next year and a half, we are thrilled to present an exhibition program that furthers the Museum’s commitment to fostering the work of living artists at critical moments in their careers. In November 2020, we debut Salman Toor: How Will I Know, the artist’s first solo museum show, and Working Together: The Photographers of the Kamoinge Workshop, an exhibition that celebrates the early work of the New York-based collective. And in December 2020, we are also honored to be realizing David Hammons’s much-anticipated permanent art installation, Day’s End. Standing majestically and poetically on the shore of the Hudson River, Hammons’s historic artwork embodies the Museum’s commitment to community and civic good.”

Scott Rothkopf, Senior Deputy Director and Nancy and Steve Crown Family Chief Curator, added: “Over the next two years, we’ll present a diverse roster of temporary exhibitions that spotlights artistic and curatorial innovation and demonstrates an inclusive idea of American art. Although all these shows have been in the works for years, they feel even more relevant in light of our challenging present and hopes for the future. We look forward to three important single artist surveys, chronicling the careers of Dawoud Bey, Julie Mehretu, and Jasper Johns—all artists with long and close connections to the Whitney and major works in our collection. But true to our founding mission, we will also champion emerging artists Andrea Carlson, Martine Gutierrez, Madeline Hollander, and Salman Toor. Innovative performance remains a pillar of our program, with a new project by Dave McKenzie and a twentieth anniversary survey of theatrical trio My Barbarian—Malik Gaines, Jade Gordon, and Alexandro Segade. Plus, our collection displays will be refreshed to highlight new acquisitions and ideas.”

To read the full press release, including exhibition descriptions, click here.

REVISED EXHIBITION SCHEDULE
FALL 2020–SPRING 2022

All dates subject to change.

Salman Toor: How Will I Know
November 13, 2020–April 4, 2021

Nothing Is So Humble: Prints from Everyday Objects
November 20, 2020–Spring 2021

Working Together: The Photographers of the Kamoinge Workshop
November 21, 2020–March 28, 2021

Artport: The Next Biennial Should be Curated by a Machine
November 2020

Public Art Project: David Hammons: Day’s End